St. Paul’s School uses the current standards adopted by the state of California in all subject areas as the baseline for its curriculum. As an independent school, we are able to go above and beyond these standards with significant supplementation to teach critical thinking, creativity, effective collaboration, and thoughtful analysis.
At its core, our educational philosophy holds that academics should be active and engaging. To that end, we believe:
• Learning is a Lifelong Process- At SPS, learning is regarded as a privilege, and students are encouraged to realize that they can continue to build their fund of knowledge throughout their lives.
• Students' Learning Styles Vary- Our teachers work to identify the academic needs of each student and present individualized instruction that allows all kinds of learners to grasp content and demonstrate their understanding.
• Every Child Can Excel Academically- Our curriculum engages students as individuals, motivating them to learn through multiple modalities and enabling all to reach their highest potential.
• Children Learn Best Through Active Learning Opportunities- Those who actively inquire, research, experiment, and practice gain lasting skills. Our teachers guide their students in the development of personal initiative, critical thinking skills, and the ability to think independently- the building blocks of lifelong learning.
• Academic Success Includes the Development of Self-Confidence and Appreciation for Others- Our instructional programs enhance social inclusion, active citizenship, and personal development by sharing ideas and acknowledging other perspectives.
• Caring Relationships Among Students and Between Students and Teachers Build Academic Confidence- Consideration for others is modeled and encouraged throughout our community. Students and faculty honor, respect, and celebrate diversity.
• A Strong Partnership Between Home and School Strengthens Academic Success- Parental involvement fosters a supportive and welcoming community. Strong home-school connections and communication impact student motivation and achievment in a positive and meaningful way.
Distance Learning Expectations
St. Paul's School has remained committed to our mission during distance learning to provide students with an "experience of high academic standards".